Food for Thought


Why is it that Boy Scouts are considered prepared and preppers are considered paranoid? Guess I am a Prepper Scout!

He who chops the wood warms himself twice!

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Medical Issues - First aid and . . .


          In the previous article I covered this topic at a very basic level. Here I will go a bit deeper. Again, what you should have is dependent on your skill, budget, and planned or anticipated environment. What is commonly called “first aid” today is often the only “aid” - i.e. band aids, ointments, etc. It is often less a response to a given event as it is a preventive measure against a worse event - i.e. infection from a “minor” cut. If the first aid does not work then there is, for now, the fallback of turning the issue over to better trained and equipped personnel. That which is “minor” now can be life threatening in an EOTW scenario or even in many DOS (disruption of services) events.

Not all my medical gear is in my “first aid” kit. For example, in the first article I left out surgical gear. I actually do carry a surgical stapler in my first aid kit; but, I do this because I go out every month into the desert or mountains alone. A stapler is the quickest method for self-repair of a serious laceration. It is quick, easy, can be done one handed, requires no “special” skill, and is lightweight, fairly inexpensive, and compact.

I also carry a premade splint. Again, with frequent solo outings it is worth it to me to not have to go looking for splint material with a broken bone.

I have some gear that is kept “on hand” that is more specialized. I have a stethoscope, BP monitor, O2 monitor, etc. only because of the heart issues of someone in my bug out plan. I do not have any aids for a diabetic because I do not know any. Know yourself, know your group, and plan accordingly.

The heighten risk of infections, in an EOTW scenario, is the greatest danger. More folks have died throughout history from bugs than bombs and bullets - even in most wars. Hence, I have other medical gear “on hand” that is not in my emergency first aid kit. Bleach is great but actually has a short shelf life (See Note1) Alcohol is better. I have a UV-C wand designed for sterilization of both equipment and wounds; and, it is powered by AA batteries - which I stock up on (solar rechargeable). Prevention is paramount when you are your own doctor.

Skin integrity is paramount so I stock up on alcohol wipes, providone, burn cream, triple antibiotics, etc. Just as important are sting ease, hydrocortisone, etc. (even bug wipes) - itching can be almost unbearable which leads to scratching which leads to degradation of skin integrity.

I stock up on certain OTC medications - i.e. anti-diarrhea and bronchial meds. When TSHTF many “contained” diseases will again rear their ugly heads. The most common will be related to intestinal and respiratory issues - look around the world where the level of medical care is scant. Most folks do not realize just how quickly diarrhea (no matter the cause) can incapacitate and kill. I stock several different methods for treating a variety of intestinal issues: Pepto-Bismol (liquid and chewable), loperamide hydrochloride, antacids, etc. - even simple baking soda.

I have “prescription” antibiotics that are kept refrigerated. I still intend to get a better variety as my budget allows - not all “antibiotics” are created equal.

          For an EOTW or DOS scenario you need to picture a three tiered line of defense against germs. First is to try to kill them before they reach you - i.e. the UV-C wand. Second is to kill the little buggers that get on you - topical wipes, creams, ointments, etc. Third is to kill’em when they get in you - pills, injections, IV’s, etc.

          As in any war a strong defense is needed; but, it is even better when you can take the fight to them and never have to fight on your own turf. Good hygiene and sanitation will go a long way to ensuring you win the war on germs. Do not forget space (overcrowding kills - sunshine saves) and ventilation (bad air means bad health - think respiratory issues).

          Whether you bug in or bug out make sure you can beat the bugs around you. Don’t just survive - thrive.

Note1 - Bleach is also a poor choice for dealing with molds because it is usually diluted with water - which is what mold needs to grow. Ask anyone who does mold eradication at the professional level.

No comments:

Post a Comment