Food for Thought


Why is it that Boy Scouts are considered prepared and preppers are considered paranoid? Guess I am a Prepper Scout!

He who chops the wood warms himself twice!

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Ruck & LBE


I mentioned in an earlier article on Bugout gear that there will be times when you will need to carry some vital gear (i.e. first aid kit) but a ruck is too cumbersome, too heavy or just plain unneeded. This is why having a good LBE (Load bearing Equipment) is essential. Whether you are away from base camp to hunt, scout, patrol, or etc. you still need to keep a certain amount of gear with you without taking the whole kitchen sink. An LBE to a prepper in action is what a tool box is to a tradesman, or a briefcase is to a businessman - it goes where he goes when he is at work.

I don’t dedicate my LBE to being a B.O.B. only. I only have one setup and I use it 3 - 4 times a month for hiking and camping. That said, my LBE is always loaded and ready to go. My LBE consists of a base of a military web belt. Attached are a canteen holder, two ammo pouches, two utility pouches, and a battle dressing pouch. This belt is attached to and suspended from a vest with four diagonal chest pouches and two front vertical “hip” pouches. The vest also has multiple “connection points” from which you can attach other gear. Suspended from the belt are two leg units. The left leg unit consists of three vertical large “magazine” slots. The right leg unit has two removable, adjustable, “open” pouches front and rear; and, a center pouch with multiple zippered, expanding compartments.

The web belt: the canteen holder holds a canteen cup, a 1 quart canteen, and a small outer pocket holds a vial of water purification tablets. My ammo pouches are the old style that can each hold three M16 magazines inside and have outer open pockets for two grenades. I keep my battle dressing pouch attached to one of the grenade pockets. One ammo pouch usually has rations (protein bars, cliff bars, slimjims, Gatorade packets, etc.); but, the items in the web belt pouches varies with my activities and time of year - i.e. during snake season I keep my Sawyer extractor handy in the ammo pouch on my left front hip.

The vest: I attach a first aid kit to my Ruck with carabineers and when using only the LBE I transfer it to the “connection points” on the back of the vest. On the front “connection points” are a knife on one side and a light on the other. The items I carry will vary but I always put the electronics (phone, radio, stun gun, etc) in the upper pockets to keep them dry for wading creeks. I also always carry rations in at least one pouch.

The right leg unit: This unit never changes. I put binoculars in the rear open pouch. I put a large pepper spray in the front open pouch. In the center pouch: it has an inner zippered pouch, an outer zipper pouch, and a zippered flap pouch. In the inner pouch I have a wire saw, chem light, Chapstick, finger LED light, and my survival kit*, etc. In the outer pouch I have a mini stove with fuel tabs, a LED flashlight, a water filter with a straw, a compass, etc. In the flap pouch I have a WAPI, auto relight candles, and a permanent match.

The left leg unit: I carry two wide mouth bottles that my water filter will fit into and in the third is usually a large bag of trail mix. Whether hiking or after the SHTF, this unit alone would sustain you for a few days. I often freeze juice or water in the bottles and have diced pears or raisins mixed in. When you’re out in the boonies in AZ this little bit of cool makes a nice treat on your first day out.

As you can see, my LBE is, in essence, a mini B.O.B. all by itself. You may wonder though about all the “hiking and camping” related info I throw into mix. I love the outdoors; and, remember - practice, practice, practice. Don’t just survive - thrive.


* Those who read my article on an Emergency First Aid Kit know that it doubles as a survival kit too. I still carry a separate waterproof survival kit that holds: a space blanket, a knife, a bic lighter, auto relight candles, chem light, pain meds, adrenaline pills, finger LED light, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment